The Aspera Connect client version 3.6 includes a new native Chrome plug-in built using Chrome’s PPAPI (“pepper”) APIs, which brings several advantages.
- First, Connect 3.6 no longer relies on the NPAPI and thus works with the default configuration of Chrome. As of the release of Chrome 45, Chrome has removed support for NPAPI entirely.
In order for your users to take advantage of Connect 3.6 for Chrome browsers with NPAPI disabled, Aspera is making available a patch for Aspera Connect Server 3.5.4. Once you apply this patch your users will be able to use Connect Server (the directory listing script) with Chrome browsers with NPAPI disabled. If you choose to not apply this patch your users will be able to use Connect Server with all supported browsers including Chrome, but NPAPI will need to be manually enabled in Chrome.
The patch may be downloaded at the following location:
If you encounter any problems with applying the patch or would like assistance, please contact technical support.
- Product: Connect Server
- Version: 3.5.4
- Operating System: Mac
The patch consists of new versions of the following files, which will replace the existing files in your system:
The locations of these files are listed below:
For Mac-based system (default directory: "/Library/Aspera/"):
aspera-dirlist.js -> var/webtools/aspera-dirlist.js
aspera-dirlist.pl -> var/webtools/scripts/aspera-dirlist.pl
create_folder_dialog.js -> var/webtools/create_folder_dialog.js
localize.js -> var/webtools/localize.js
1. Unzip the package of patch files into a temporary directory.
2. Make backups of the 6 old, existing files.
You can do this via the command line by making a copy of each old file and renaming it, as below:
cp ../aspera-dirlist.js ../aspera-dirlist.js.bak
Note: You will need to do this from the directory with the file or using the full path to the file in the above commands.
3. Replace each existing file with the patched file from the temporary directory, using the file location reference above. Note that some files will need to go in multiple locations.
You can accomplish this by copying the new files from the temporary directory with commands like the following:
cp ..\temp_directory\aspera-dirlist.js ../file/path/aspera-dirlist.js
4. Grant the same file privileges and permissions the old file had to the new patch file.
You can consult the permissions of your backed up file, and then change the permissions of the new file accordingly.
5. The patch installation is complete. There is no need to restart your system, and your server is now equipped to interface correctly with Chrome users on Connect 3.6 using PPAPI, as well as to offer upgrades to Connect users with a prior version.