The Aspera Connect client version 3.6 includes a new native Chrome plug-in built using Chrome’s PPAPI (“pepper”) APIs, which brings several advantages.
- First, Connect 3.6 no longer relies on the NPAPI and thus works with the default configuration of Chrome. As of the release of Chrome version 45, Google has removed support for NPAPI entirely.
In order for your users to take advantage of Connect 3.6 for Chrome browsers with NPAPI disabled, Aspera is making available a patch for Aspera Shares 1.9.1. Once you apply this patch your users will be able to use Connect on Shares with Chrome browsers.
The following instructions describe how to apply the patch to Shares, which requires Shares version 1.9.1.
The patch may be downloaded at the following:
If you encounter any problems with applying the patch, please contact technical support.
The patch consists of new versions of 12 files, which will replace the existing files in your system, and the addition of 1 file. The existing files are located in the Shares install directory, which is typically found in the following default directory:
- Windows 32bit or 64bit: C:\Shares\www\
- Linux: /opt/aspera/shares/u/shares
The existing files are located at the following locations, within your system’s Shares install directory:
The additional file will go in the following location:
1. Unzip the package of patch files into a temporary directory.
2. Back up the existing versions of the existing 12 files.
You can do this via the command line by making a copy of each old file and renaming it. For example, you might do the following:
cp ../nodes_controller.rb ../nodes_controller.rb.bak
copy ..\nodes_controller.rb ..\nodes_controller.rb.bak
Note: You will need to do this from the directory with the file or using the full path to the file in the above commands.
3. Replace each existing file with the new patched file from the temporary directory, using the file location reference above.
You can accomplish this by copying the new files from the temporary directory with commands like the following:
cp ../temp_directory/nodes_controller.rb ../file/path/nodes_controller.rb
copy ..\temp_directory\nodes_controller.rb ..\file\path\nodes_controller.rb
Copy the additional file cookie.rb to the location indicated in the previous section.
4. Grant the same file privileges and permissions the old files had to the new patch files, if they do not already have them.
You can consult the permissions of your backed up files, and then change the permissions of the new files accordingly.
5. Finally, restart Shares services.
For Linux, run the following command from the Shares install directory:
service aspera-shares restart
For Windows, perform the following:
- Go to your Services window by navigating to Start Menu > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
- Select the following services, and for each, click Restart on the left:
- Aspera Nginx Service
- Aspera Delayed Job Service
- Aspera Web Services
- Aspera Stats Collector
6. The patch installation is complete. Shares is now equipped to interface correctly with Chrome users on Connect 3.6, as well as to offer upgrades to Connect 3.6 to users with a prior version.