This article describes how to launch Aspera Cluster Manager and an RDS DB with an AWS CloudFormation template. The template will automate the following steps:
- Provision an RDS instance
- Provision Aspera Cluster Manager
- Create the security groups for your Cluster Manager and Clusters
- Create the required IAM roles
The CloudFormation templates were created and tested for version 1.2.2 of Cluster Manager.
This article requires the following preparation.
- You have prepared a VPC
- You have a hosted zone in Route 53
- You have an SSH key pair created in the AWS console
- Login to AWS console
- Navigate to the CloudFormation page
- Click on 'Create'
- Specify an Amazon S3 template URL: https://s3.amazonaws.com/aspera-helpers/ATCM-1-2-2/20170123-ATCM-1-2-2.template (note: you can also download and edit the defaults in the template for your specific deployment)
- Click Next
- All fields are required. Input all parameters specific to your environment (i.e. your SSH key pair, your Route 53 hosted zone, etc.).
- NOTE: For the
- Click "Next" to review the config, and then "Create".
- The complete deployment and configuration process takes about 30 minutes. Please check the status in the Cloudformation Events tab.
NOTE: When editing the "Provider" section of your cluster's template (within the Cluster Manager), be sure that "iam_role_name" is set to the node's instance profile name rather than the node's role name.
The following resources will be created:
- An EC2 instance (the Cluster Manager)
- An RDS DB security group
- An RDS DB subnet group
- An RDS instance
- 4 policies, 4 IAM roles, and 4 Instance Profiles
- 2 VPC security groups (1 for the Cluster Manager and 1 for the Cluster nodes)
NOTE: This RDS instance will not be deleted when you delete this stack. To change this, simply remove "DeletionPolicy" : "Retain", from the "DBInstance" resource in this CloudFormation template. Alternatively you may delete the RDS instance manually via the AWS Console in the RDS Dashboard.
- Amazon cloud formation documentation
- ATCM documentation