This document is to help existing Aspera Files customers upgrade to IBM Aspera on Cloud. The transition to Aspera On Cloud is designed to be seamless. While we have introduced a new web interface, it is important to note that:
- All data remains accessible from within the Aspera on Cloud interface (no data migration required).
- All Files, Packages, and Dropboxes will continue to work (via re-direct) after the upgrade.
- The Aspera Files APIs are 100% compatible with Aspera on Cloud.
NOTE: Due to GDPR compliance, all users' Files logins must be migrated to Aspera on Cloud IDs by May 25th (GMT). Single Sign On / SAML configurations have slightly different requirements, as outlined below.
March 19: Early Access
- The new URL will be available, under https://<your-ORG>.ibmaspera.com where your-ORG is your organization's sub domain.
- Any existing Files users can point their browser to the new URL and login with their existing Aspera Files credentials.
- Existing Files application will continue to work as usual.
April 10: General Availability
- All new subscribers will be on boarded to the new environment: https://<your-ORG>.ibmaspera.com
- All organizational administrators will be prompted to consider migrating their users over to the new URL.
- Moving over to the new URL will involve transitioning to the IBM ID (password reset required - See details below)
May 21: Upgrade to IBM id Login for GDPR compliance
- On next login, all existing users will be prompted to upgrade to the new IBM ID and use the new Aspera on Cloud URL (See details below on IBM ID).
May 24: Upgrade completed
- All users should will be using the Aspera on Cloud web application interface
Question: What is new and why should I upgrade?
Aspera Files is getting upgraded to IBM Aspera on Cloud. Here are the highlights:
- Aspera on Cloud has a whole new user experience for sharing and sending files, folders, and packages. The experience was designed by professional designers to optimize interactions with the service.
- The new service expands on existing Files capabilities to add centralized, web-based reporting. The new reporting functionality will allow administrators to generate detailed reports of their transfers and application usage.
- The new solution is branded IBM Aspera on Cloud and hosted at a new URL: https://<your-ORG>.ibmaspera.com
Question: What should I do to prepare for the upgrade?
There are a few preparations to consider:
- Become familiar with the coming changes. We encourage you to access the new web application and welcome your feedback about the new service.
- Mark your calendars with the important dates described above. Please note that we recommend you initiate the upgrade process as soon as possible. You will be required to initiate the upgrade no later than May 21st.
- You will not need to request an upgrade - administrators will be prompted to initiate the upgrade process upon login.
- Administrators should communicate the upcoming changes to their Aspera Files users. You can email them directly, or use the login page notification option in Files to publish a notification about the upcoming changes.
- Administrators who use Single Sign On (SSO) with Aspera Files will need to make the following changes
- Create a second SAML configuration which enables your SSO to redirect back to the new URL: https://<your-ORG>.ibmaspera.com
- The procedure for adding a SAML configuration is documented in the Files Help Center Here. (note: Login to Files is required)
- If you use nginx as a reverse proxy with CORS enabled and configured to return the 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin', you will need to add 'https://<your-subdomain>.ibmaspera.com' to the response list or pattern.
- Administrators may need to reconfigure Firewall Ports:
- If you whitelist asperafiles.com via a forward proxy you will need to whitelist ibmaspera.com
- If you have an on-premises Node that is exposed with Aspera Files backend and you are:
- Whitelisting by IP: No action is required
- Whitelisting by hostname: Action is required; Update to the new hostname by May 5.
Question: How do I upgrade?
The upgrade process is designed to be seamless and automatic. You will only need to reconfigure your Firewall ports if relevant to your environment.
Question: What will happen to my Aspera Files Packages?
Packages that were sent with Aspera Files can still be retrieved by using the original URL link, which will be re-directed to your Aspera on Cloud URL starting May 24th.
Question: What will happen to my Aspera Files Dropboxes URLs?
Dropboxes that were created for Aspera Files can still be accessed using the original URL link, which will be re-directed to your Aspera on Cloud URL starting on May 24th.
Question: What will happen to Aspera Files Express?
The Files Express experience has been rolled into Aspera on Cloud. We hope you enjoy sending packages with Aspera on Cloud as much as you did with Files Express.
Question: What will happen to my existing subscription?
Existing subscribers will be grandfathered in. If the current subscription is right for you, just stay where you are. If you want to take advantage of some of the new features or pricing options, please contact your IBM salesperson. If you do not have contact information for your salesperson, please reach out to email@example.com.
Question: Where can I get help?
The following resources are available to you: