Product Release: July 12, 2018
We are pleased to announce the release of version 3.8.1 of IBM Aspera High-Speed Transfer Server (formerly Enterprise Server and Connect Server), High-Speed Transfer Endpoint (formerly Point-to-Point Client), and Desktop Client for AIX. This release provides a number of enhancements that span ascp, ascp4, Node API, Watch Folders, and the Aspera Watch Service.
KEY NEW FEATURES
- Transfers with Microsoft Azure Files are now supported, including using Azure Files access keys.
- Increased server security with upgrades to the OpenSSH SSHD service. (CIM-600)
- Desktop Client no longer requires a license. For upgrades to 3.8.1, existing licenses are overwritten with the unlimited license after a successful upgrade.
- ascp and ascp4 transfers to object storage can now include custom metadata if the object storage supports it (currently S3, Google, Azure, and Swift). Metadata is set using the --tagsor --tags64 option with a JSON payload argument. Metadata are applied per session, not per file. (CIM-723)
- New traffic predictor settings offer server configuration options that improve transfer rate stability and maximize FASP transfer performance.
- A new database mode for the Aspera Node Service, acm_redis, improves database cleanup and background job management for clusters of Aspera servers.
- A new post-transfer file validation process runs file validation once the transfer is complete, in contrast to existing inline validation methods. Out-of-transfer validation is also applied to files transferred by HTTP(S) fallback, unlike inline validation. Files that are being processed are reported by Aspera Central (and Faspex and Console) as "validating", and then "complete" once the validation completes.
- ascp and ascp4 logging can now be configured in aspera.conf. (CIM-958)
- Improved reporting for package transfers that are initiated via Aspera APIs. (CIM-1327)
- Transfer sessions that fallback to HTTP now report file IDs in the management stream (as FaspFileID).
- New configuration options are available when using stdio-tar:// as a destination or the source.
- The data-streaming capabilities of ascp4 (powered by FASPStream technology) are now available for High-Speed Transfer Server.
- Ascp 4 and is now supported on AIX. Aspera Ascp 4 is an optimized transfer engine based on FASP technology and is designed for sending extremely large sets of individual files efficiently.
- The Node API /ops/transfers now supports ascp4 transfers.
- Faster transfer start up when many transfer sessions are started through the Node API. (CIM-1010)
- Aspera application can now be install in non-default location.
- Drastically faster response for /files?sort=namerequests (files sorted by name); browsing can be up to 20 times faster.
- Improved Redis database performance by automatic cleanup of cached file metadata.
- Partial files can now be identified and processed separately from completely transferred files.
- /files/delete requests can now specify that folders that are not empty should not be deleted; otherwise, all folders are deleted by default.
- Filelocks and previews are now cached for faster directory listing and browsing.
- New permissions model allows user-specific permissions for file operations, grouped by access levels (edit, view, or none).
- Transfer settings can now be configured at the access key level.
- Access keys can now be backed up and restored by using new asnodeadmin options.
- Improved access level reporting by the /permissions
- The /ops/transfersendpoint now supports updating the transfer rate parameters.
- POST requests to /ops/transferscan now use AES-192 and AES-256 ciphers for encryption of data in transit.
- POST requests to the /ops/transfersendpoint now supports additional ascp options in the transfer specification, including excluding files older than or newer than the specified time, preserving timestamps, and moving or deleting files after transfer.
Watch Folders and Aspera Watch Service
- Faster directory scanning by the Aspera Watch Service, especially for directories that contain many (10,000s) subdirectories.
- Faster drop statistics calculation by use of Redis database.
- Watch Folders now support IPv6 addresses.
- Watch Folders can delete files from the source as soon as the file is successfully transferred, rather than waiting for the session to complete.
- Watch Folders can now be created in "pull" mode, such that a folder on a remote host can be watched and automatically transfer files to the local computer. The remote host can be an Aspera server in object storage.
- Watch Folders and the Aspera Watch Service now support cloud storage and URI docroots.
- Watch Folders can now use IBM Aspera Shares version 1.9.11 as a remote endpoint.
- Watch Folders can now include custom metadata when transferring to object storage that supports it (currently S3, Google, Azure, and Swift).
- The Aspera Watch Service daemon now uses a single snapshot tree, which reduces memory requirements and simplifies watch configuration.
- Watches and Watch Folders services that are stopped can now be restarted by resending the configuration to the Node service.
- Watch Folders can now use access keys for authentication to remote storage. Remote sources (for pull Watch Folders) must have an Aspera Watch Service running. Access key authentication can be used for push Watch Folders with destinations of Aspera Files, Aspera Transfer Service, or Aspera Transfer Cluster nodes.
- Watch Folders can be configured to use a specific Aspera Watch Service.
- Watch Folders now supports AES-192 and AES-256 encryption.
- The /watchfolders endpoints support concurrency for calls to the Redis database.
HOW TO UPGRADE
This 3.8.1 release is available for download for each individual product listed below. Aspera’s support team stands by ready to help you as needed with upgrades. If you have any questions or would like upgrade assistance, please contact email@example.com.
- Aspera High-Speed Transfer Server 3.8.1 is available for download here
- Aspera High-Speed Transfer Endpoint 3.8.1 is available for download here
- Aspera Desktop Client 3.8.1 is available for download here
FULL RELEASE NOTES
The release notes for v3.8.1 can be found here